| Call 1995
Christopher Boardman is a leading junior specialising in insolvency, commercial, fraud, company, partnership, banking and finance law. Legal 500 describe him as "an outstanding advocate, who gives robust advice, inspires confidence in the client and the right person to have on your side in a difficult fight."
Experience and Expertise
Chris was called to the Bar first in the order of merit for his year and has since established a well regarded commercial chancery practice, advising professional and lay clients and appearing in a wide range of domestic and international tribunals, arbitrations and mediations. Chris has a significant advantage over many of his contemporaries having previously worked as a derivatives trader and obtained a Masters in Corporate and Commercial Law. He therefore has practical experience as well as a sound financial and corporate knowledge.
Chris is consistently recommended as a leading insolvency junior and a leading chancery commercial junior by Chambers UK. He is also recommended for commercial litigation, insolvency and banking & finance by Legal 500. The directories highlight:
- "Chris is an excellent, hands-on and practical barrister. He balances the technical with the commercial." "He has a superb courtroom presence, strategic vision and an impressive articulate courtroom style." "He is confident, aggressive and accomplished advocate who has a grat mind0 he's someone you want on your side in a difficult fight." (Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers UK 2018)
- "A very heavyweight litigator, who gets a lot of big work, and he is very widely respected." "He has a very good eye for crafting the argument that is going to win you the case." (Chancery; commercial, Chambers UK 2018)
- "A problem-solver, who is impressive on his feet." (Insolvency, The Legal 500, 2017)
- "Good tactically and completely unflappable." (Commercial Litigation, The Legal 500, 2017)
- "A problem solver, who is user-friendly and impressive on his feet." (Banking and Finance, The Legal 500, 2017)
- “He’s very on the ball with his advice and is an excellent advocate. He has a calm and convincing manner, even in the trickiest of cases.” (Restructuring/ Insolvency, Chambers UK, 2017)
- “He is someone you want on your side in a difficult fight.” (Restructuring/ Insolvency, Chambers UK, 2017)
- “He’s really excellent – a proper advocate who knows his way around the courtroom and is great at trial.” (Chancery: Commercial, Chambers UK, 2017)
- "Fantastic – good tactically and completely unflappable." (Banking and Finance, The Legal 500, 2016)
- He is "An outstanding advocate and the right person to have on your side in a difficult fight." (Insolvency, The Legal 500, 2016)
- Has experience in a range of commercial chancery matters, but is best known for handling insolvency and company disputes. Expertise: “He is exceptional at advocacy as his cross-examination is fantastic and he identifies the pressure points in a case very early on.” “He is very clear in his thinking and strategy.” Recent work: Represented the defendants in a dispute arising from a failed joint venture. (Chancery: commercial, Chambers UK, 2015)
- Specialises in both personal and corporate insolvencies, and also has an active practice advising on directors’ liabilities and disqualification actions. He is particularly praised by sources for his clear understanding and articulation of legal issues.
- Expertise: “He has an excellent ability to synthesise complex information into a clear line of argument.” “Incisive, and he understands the core issues of complex legal problems effortlessly.” Recent work: Acted in a contested administration application on behalf of a petitioning creditor in the High Court. (Insolvency, Chambers UK, 2015)
- “Really good on his feet, good tactically and completely unflappable.” (Banking & Finance, Legal 500, 2014)
- “A great lateral thinker as well as being a very persuasive advocate.” (Insolvency, Legal 500, 2014)
- “A fantastic advocate in both submissions and cross-examination.” (Commercial litigation, Legal 500, 2014)
- His practice is based on insolvency law and general company and commercial litigation. Expertise: “He is an excellent advocate, who is very focused on putting forward the best case for his clients. He is excellent tactically and always makes the right call on cases.” (Chancery: commercial, Chambers UK, 2014)
- Praised by solicitors as an extremely useful adviser and a highly adept advocate. He regularly represents clients in a range of insolvency matters before the Chancery Division, and is experienced in handling cases with an offshore element. Expertise: “Conscientious and fantastic to work with.” “Highly intelligent, he shows incredible attention to detail and is a skilled advocate.”
- Recent work: acted for the Portsmouth Supporters’ Trust in an opposed application by the administrators to sell the club’s business and assets. (Restructuring/ Insolvency, Chambers UK, 2014 and Chambers Global, 2014)