| Call 1998
| Solicitor 1988
Profile: Local Government
Much of Clive’s work for local authorities involves land and property which the authority owns or has an interest in. Cases involve administrative law principles and statutory restrictions upon the acquisition, appropriation and disposal of land – e.g. Charity law, public open space, procurement law, best value, assets of community value and so forth.
Other typical work concerns statutory functions, regulatory responsibilities, contracts and procurement, rating and valuation, compulsory purchase and compensation, governance and vires issues.
Recent examples of Clive’s non-litigious work include:
- Acting for Brentwood BC concerning possible land disposal – issues of charity law/governance/procurement and property law.
- Advising Brent LBC concerning bequests held on charitable trust by the council.
- Advising Surrey County Council concerning Lingfield library and museum bequest held on charitable trust.
- Advising Hounslow LBC concerning Heston Park and other land held on charitable trust.
- Acting for Bath & NE Somerset DC concerning portfolio of care home fee cases, land charges and land registration.
Recently litigated other cases now include:
- Broxtowe BC v. Scotia Aid Sierra Leone (2013-14) – non-domestic rates liability of trustees of charitable body (instructed by Ellis-Fermor & Negus).