| Call 1995
Dov's practice focuses on litigation and dispute resolution, relating to business, finance, property and professional negligence. He is appreciated by clients for his willingness to provide clear practical advice, robust negotiation skills, and forceful advocacy.
Experience and Expertise
Dov Ohrenstein's practice focuses on litigation and dispute resolution in the following areas:
- Chancery (Commercial): Banking, Companies, Guarantees, Insolvency, Mortgages
- Chancery (Traditional): Fiduciaries, Inheritance Act, Partnerships, Trusts, Wills & Probate
- Commercial: Contracts including Sale of goods, Agency, Loans, Employment (including confidentiality agreements, restraint of trade)
- Professional Negligence: Particularly solicitors' and accountants' negligence
- Property: Landlord and Tenant, Property torts, Real Property
Cases and Work of Note
- Blindley Heath Investments Ltd v Peter Bass & Ors  EWCA Civ 548 (costs, Bullock orders)
- Blindley Heath Investments Ltd v Peter Bass & Ors  EWCA Civ 1023,  EWHC 1366 (Ch) (Shareholder pre-emption agreement, estoppel, refusal of registration of transfer of shares)
- Exsus Travel Ltd & Others v James Turner & Anor  EWCA 1331 (Directors' duties, evidential and legal burden of proof on the taking of an account, limitation periods on an account)
- Norwood v Nabai, ChD, LTL 27/5/2014 (Contempt of Court for breach of freezing order, custodial sentence)
- Hawkes & Telerate Ltd v County Leasing Asset Management & Others ChD, LTL 21/10/2011 (Company Restoration and Limitation Override)
- United Vending Ltd v Desai  EWHC 919 QB (assignment, administration, bailment)
Immingham Storage Co Ltd v Clear Plc  EWCA Civ 89 (contract formation, offer and acceptance)
- Lui v Chong  EWCA Civ 398 (assents, bare trusts, gifts, intention and beneficial interests)
- Basinghall Finance PLC v Butler  EWCA Civ 1262 (mortgages, assignment, securitisation, privity, Consumer Credit)
- Summers v Kitson  EWHC 3655 (Ch) (rectification of deeds of appointment)
- Clement Johnson v Estate of Harrington Johnson  EWHC 2568, LTL 21/9/07 (wills, knowledge and approval)
- Foster Orr v Colliss  All ER (D) 26 (Jun) (will rectification, Administration of Justice Act 1982 s.20)
- Saxon v Moore LTL 13/1/05 (real property, land registration, rectification)
- Wright v Hodgkinson  EWHC 3091 (Ch),  WTLR 435, LTL 1/11/2004 (equity, undue influence, setting aside gifts)
- Mitchell McFarlane & Partners Ltd v Foremans Ltd LTL 18/12/2002 (insolvency, assignments, company law).
Dov Ohrenstein has been recommended as a leading junior by Chambers UK and The Legal 500 in three commercial and chancery fields: commerical chancery, commercial litigation and professional negligence. Examples of recent directory comment are as follows:
- “An experienced barrister with an approachable manner.” (Chancery: Commercial; and Commercial Dispute Resolution, Chambers UK, 2017)
- "His advice is always crystal clear, well thought out and presented, and easily understood." (Professional negligence, The Legal 500, 2016)
- very commercial and responsive, and has an excellent grasp of legal issues.
- very good on paper, in conference and as an advocate.
- commercial and down to earth, he provides quick, practical, no-nonsense advice.
- his work is always crystal clear, well thought out and presented, and easily understood by the lay client.
- clients profess to be thrilled by his accuracy.
- response times are excellent.
- receives praise for his sensible, sound advice and cogent arguments in court.
- always offers sound cost effective advice.
- he gives value for money.
- appreciated for his clear view at the outset as to the chances of success.
- a much-valued counsel who is very commercial, highly responsive, and has an excellent grasp of legal issues.
- impresses instructing solicitors with his excellent delivery in court and high level of responsiveness.
- known for his client friendliness, with a source noting that "he is on the phone whenever I need him and is very sensible in all his dealings".
“Insolvency Litigation: A Practical Guide”, Sweet and Maxwell, 1st edition 2016
The Civil Court Practice 2008-17 ("The Green Book"), co-author of "Companies"
Tottel's Law of Limitation, co-author of the "Equity"
Halsburys' Laws, ‘Limitation Periods’ and co-author of "Money"
The Law Society Gazette, author of numerous articles and writer of Chancery Law Update
The College of Law Commercial Litigation, "Banking Update" and "Insolvency Law Update" professional development videos
U2 Coach Internet Further Education, provider of "Lifting the Corporate Veil" course
CPDcast.com, provider of podcasts "Reflective Losses & Derivative Claims" and “Chancery Update - Yeoman's Row v Cobbe"
Contributor to Journal of International Business & Finance Law, New Law Journal, Commercial Litigation Journal, Law Society Gazette
Chancery Bar Association; Professional Negligence Bar Association.
VAT Registration Number: 696658658
Bar Membership Number: 33747
For More Information
Please click on the links to the left or contact a member of the clerking team