Profile: Commercial Disputes
Experience and Expertise
Mark appears in a range of commercial disputes, often with a financial services or tax element to them.
Cases and Work of Note
- Advising a major banking group on aspects of the legislation ring fencing retail and investment banking.
- Revenue & Customs v Ben Nevis (Holdings) Ltd & Ors  STC 2157 and  WTLR 1 (In this case a claim was made for judgment in respect of over £220 million in unpaid South African tax from two offshore companies. Led by James Ayliffe QC.)
- Advising in relation to litigation in the High Court of Singapore concerning the operation of dual currency swaps entered into by two high net worth individuals.
- Revenue and Customs Commissioners v Ali  EWHC 880 (Ch) (Authority in which it was determined that HMRC has sufficient right to support a freezing order where income tax assessments have been issued, but the obligation to pay tax sought under the assessments has not yet crystallised. Led by David Chivers QC.)
- Advising and representing HM Revenue and Customs in relation to various commercial issues arising from the decision of the High Court in Abbey Forwarding Ltd v Hone  EWHC 2029 (Ch).