Profile: Wills and Estates
Experience and Expertise
Mark West has extensive experience in advising and acting for executors, administrators and beneficiaries in contentious and non-contentious probate and administration of estate matters.
Cases and Work of Note
- Advising on the entitlement to a peer’s estate, involving issues of valuation, administration of the estate and estoppel.
- Advising Swiss lawyers on the correct interpretation of the English will of a Swiss domiciliary.
- Advising an estate as to the availability of agricultural property relief for inheritance tax purposes on the death of the farmer.
- Advising the beneficiary of will trust on a number of issues arising out of the administration of the estate, including questions of breach of duty by the trustees, the removal of trustees, the appointment of a third trustee for tax reasons, rectification of deeds of appointment and estoppel and the enforceability of a compromise involving interests in land.
- Advising whether a purported gift of the whole of a property in a will can be upheld as a valid gift of a share in the property if that is all that the testatrix had or whether the gift is void.