| Call 2002
Reuben is experienced in all aspects of contentious company law and practice. He has particular experience of shareholder disputes and unfair prejudice petitions. He regularly advises or appears in cases involving the interpretation of articles of association and shareholders’ agreements, directors’ duties, and the declaration or recoupment of dividends or other distributions.
Cases and Work of Note
- Advising a group of companies and their managing director/shareholder as to the avenues available to remedy the fraudulent diversion of company assets by a co-director, including the possibility of seeking pre-emptive relief.
- Advising a majority shareholder in an IT company in relation to breaches by a minority shareholder of the shareholders’ agreement and other agreements with the company. Issues included the extent to which the shareholder had any direct claim, questions of reflective loss, and whether a derivative claim would be barred by the terms of the shareholders’ agreement.
- Harvey v Foundation IT Ltd (2014): Unfair prejudice claim arising out of wrongful transfer of a company’s business to newco controlled by director/majority shareholder.
- Acting for a minority shareholder in relation to improper use of company funds to finance the controlling shareholder’s other business venture.
- Richmond v Burch  EWHC 921 (Ch);  1 All ER 658: Acting in a claim against a company director for diversion of business. The appeal concerned the jurisdiction of a Master to set aside judgment in default where the effect of that would be to discharge a final injunction.