| Call 2002
Profile: Partnership and Joint Ventures
In addition to company disputes, Reuben acts and advises in partnership disputes, both in relation to continuing partnerships and those where dissolution has taken place or is sought. He is alive to the specific issues which arise out of such disputes, and in particular the need for a different approach to the kind of litigation which might ensue. He also acts in relation to less formal joint venture arrangements and, more recently, has advised on various matters in relation to LLPs.
Cases and Work of Note
- In the Matter of Caremark Properties Limited (2015): Acted for one partner to a failed joint venture. The dispute involved issues relating to the true identity of the other partner and that partner’s rights to charge the JV companies for services provided to them.
- In the Matter of Hoare Capital Markets LLP (2015): Acting for liquidators of a failed hedge fund in the recovery of overpaid entitlements in circumstances where distributions to members exceeded profits made.
- Advising certain members of regional surveyors’ practice as to the possibility and effect of a dissolution of the LLP through which they traded.
- Cortese v Coussens (2013): Acted for a party to a joint venture for the marketing of a financial product.
- The issues involved whether a partnership had been created, and whether the claimant had received the sums to which he was entitled under the joint venture agreement.
Maurice J Bushell & Co v Born  EWHC 7;  All ER (D) 64 (Feb): Appeal against the award of an arbitrator in a dispute arising out of the retirement of a partner from a firm of accountants.